हिन्दी (Hindi)
English

ECB promises to visit Pakistan next year, issues apology for cancelling their recent visit

By BetBarter Staff

September 29, 2021

England Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Ian Watmore has apologized to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials for withdrawing from the team’s two-match T20I series in Pakistan. ECB called off their Pakistan tour citing security concerns. The announcement came after New Zealand Cricket (NZC) abandoned their Pakistan tour hours before the start of the first ODI.

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Watmore said that players' safety and wellbeing were the primary concerns of the board while taking the decision to call off the Pakistan tour. "I'm very sorry to anyone who feels hurt or let down by our decision, particularly in Pakistan," Watmore said. "The decision the board made was an extremely difficult one.

"I won't go into details, but we received advice on security and player welfare and took the decision we made. We had to make it quickly because of the short term to the World Cup and the New Zealand exodus from Pakistan. They were all factors, but the primary consideration was the welfare of the players."

If England men’s team would have travelled to Pakistan, it would have been their first visit to the country after 2005-06. For the women's team, it would have been the first tour. Watmore further promised to rebuild its relationship with the PCB and said they will do everything possible to go ahead with the tour next year.

"We need to rebuild our relationship with Pakistan and will refocus on going there in 2022. This wasn't the right time. Obviously, we're extremely grateful to Pakistan coming here last year, and we will do everything we can to deliver the scheduled tour next year."