The Indian T20 League 2022 reached its end with the debutants of the tournament, Gujarat emerging as the winner of the season. The performance of the Gujarat team throughout the season was clinical. Besides their team performances, the tournament also saw some brilliant individual performances from the players of the other teams. The tournament will be remembered for some excellent on-field displays of the players but it also had its share of controversies.
Here is a list of the top five controversies of the Indian T20 League 2022.
1. Rishabh Pant and the No-ball controversy: Delhi faced Rajasthan twice in the league stage of the Indian T20 League 2022. In the first match of these two, Rishabh Pant nearly called off his team frustrated by an umpiring decision. Delhi needed 36 runs to win the match in the last over of the match. Rovman Powell slammed Obed McCoy for three sixes of the first three balls of the over.
But the third ball of the over appeared to be above waist-high full toss delivery. The umpire decided that it was not a no-ball. This frustrated the Delhi skipper; Rishabh Pant and he was on the verge of calling off his team from the field. Delhi lost the match and with that some points in the Fairplay table.
2. Virat Kohli victim of umpiring mistake: Virat Kohli had a below-par Indian T20 League 2022 season with the bat in hand. While he was having difficulty getting going in the tournament, he was finding ways of getting himself dismissed. One such dismissal where Kohli as a batter was not at fault was in the match against Mumbai.
He was batting at 48 runs off 36 balls when he was adjudged LBW by the on-field umpire Virender Sharma. It looked like the batter felt that the ball had hit his bat. But the third umpire did not have enough evidence to overturn the decision. Kohli was visibly frustrated with the decision and was seen venting out his anger.
3. Harshal Patel-Riyan Parag verbal spat: In the reverse fixture of the league stage between Rajasthan and Bangalore, Riyan Parag and Harshal Patel had a verbal spat on the field. While returning to their respective dugouts after the end of the first innings, the two were seen having a heated exchange of words. Even Patel was seen walking towards the young batter, however other players separated them. The tension between the two was noticeable at the end of the match when the two did not shake hands.
4. Kane Williamson’s controversial catch by Devdutt Padikkal: Kane Williamson looked completely out of touch in the Indian T20 League 2022. He was just able to score 216 runs in the tournament and scored at even less than run a ball. However, he was the victim of a controversial decision in Hyderabad’s first match against Rajasthan.
Williamson was caught by Padikkal in the match of Prasidh Krishna’s bowling. However, replays showed that Williamson did not edge the ball and neither did the ball reach the fielder on the full. The third-umpire however adjudged the batter out surprising the viewers.
5. Marcus Stoinis’ venting of anger against Bangalore: Lucknow was chasing a target of 182 runs in their 20 overs. They required 34 runs off the last 12 balls in the match. Josh Hazlewood was bowling the 19th over of the innings. The very first ball of the over was bowled outside the tramline but the umpire did not call it a wide as Stoinis moved from his position. The decision frustrated the Australian all-rounder. To add salt to his injury Stoinis was dismissed off the very next ball, this really got Stoinis infuriated and he did not fail to express his frustration on the field.